Tooth Coloured Fillings
A tooth coloured filling (white filling) is:
- mercury free
- made of a tooth coloured plastic mixture filled with glass particles, called composite resin
- used for restoring decay
- used for cosmetic improvements
New technological advancements in dentistry have allowed us to do natural tooth coloured fillings.
The advantages of composite fillings are:
- The filling integrates with the tooth…it doesn’t weaken the tooth as a silver filling does.
- We now can make a smaller hole, since the white material can flow into small places.
- Due to the smaller hole, there is more of your own tooth left, leaving it stronger.
- Secondary decay is easier to spot beneath tooth coloured fillings.
- If damaged, they can be easily fixed.
- They are temperature and electrical insulators-resistant to extremes of heat and cold.
- Environmentally safe-no hazardous metal wastes to dispose of and no risk of mercury allergy.
- Allowing us to fix smaller cavities.
- They are a more natural, attractive choice.
- Composites bond to the tooth to support the remaining tooth to help prevent breakage.
- Composite insulate the tooth from excessive temperature changes.
- Composites (white fillings) last about 8 years with a range of 7-10 years.