Your 15 Point Private Dental Health Checklist Explained
Your examination, whether routine or coming along for a new patient consultation will encompass the following vital 15 points. At each 15 Point Dental Health Check, our dentists assess the overall health of your mouth in each of the following areas. We are looking for ways to keep you as healthy as possible in each one so that you reduce the risks of future problems/treatment and look and feel great forever!
- Is there anything in your medical condition, or in medicines you take which is likely to affect your dental health?
- We ask you how healthy you feel your mouth is when you visit us.
- Do you have any concerns that we need to deal with?
- Are you happy with the appearance of your smile?
- We check your teeth to see that they’re healthy and strong.
- We check that any fillings or other restorations are still strong and healthy.
- We check your gum health – as we know this is absolutely critical if you are to keep your teeth for life!
- We check for presence of plaque and calculus (tartar = mineral deposits), which does all the damage to mouths – yet can be controlled to preserve health!
- We check to see if the inside of your mouth (cheeks, lips, tongue, roof and floor of mouth) is healthy and we screen for oral cancer.
- We also check the outside of your mouth.
- We check inside, under and between the teeth for health.*
- We check the bone which supports your teeth.*
- We check the occlusion (your bite, or the way your teeth meet when your jaws bite together) as well as your TMJ which is the joint connecting your lower jaw and skull.
- We check for erosive wear (damage to the different layers of a tooth).
- We will then tell you how healthy you are in each area and advise you on how to:
- Keep dentally healthy, or
- Become more healthy (and less likely to need future treatment, lose teeth, suffer bad breath or other problems!)
*Our checks of these aspects are updated via ultra-low dosage radiographs – taken approximately every 2-4 years or when otherwise justified.